Reproductive Health and Nutrition

Home Forum Ask a Nutritionist Reproductive Health and Nutrition

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Jacob Newman Jacob Newman 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jacob Newman
    Participant

What can I nutritionally do to improve my reproductive health?

Madeline Beus
    Participant

There are many ways to improve reproductive health through the diet. One of the biggest influences on reproduction and fertility is weight. Those who maintain a healthy weight (BMI 19-24) are much more likely to have fully functioning reproductive systems (1). Extreme weights in either direction can cause hormone imbalances in men and women, and can disrupt ovulation in women.
    In women, iron levels are indicative of fertility and reproductive health. Many studies have shown that higher iron intake (while maintaining normal limits) is associated with significantly lower risk of ovulatory infertility. Thus, women should consider taking an iron supplement while trying to conceive. Women should also consider an iron supplement during pregnancy, as pregnancy can rapidly deplete iron stores (2).
    Fertility and reproductive health often focuses on women. However, the diet of men can also greatly affect his reproductive health. To ensure optimal health, men should eat the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables, choose whole grain products over refined grains, and cut down on red meat (3). Men should also avoid alcohol, cigarettes, and drugs. Exercise is also an important factor in maintaining health. Aim to get 30 minutes of exercise at least 5 days a week.

Sources:

1. Lake J, Power C, Cole T. Women’s reproductive health: the role of body mass index in early and adult life. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. June 2007;6:432-438.
    2. Miller E. Iron status and reproduction in US women: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999-2006. PlOS ONE. November 2014;9:1-11.
    3. Denny S. How A Man’s Diet Affects Fertility Too. Eat right. November 19, 2014. Available athttp://www.eatright.org/resource/health/pregnancy/fertility-and-reproduction/how-a-mans-diet-affects-fertility-too. Accessed March 1, 2015.

Jacob Newman
    Participant

Women can also improve their chances of fertility by consuming carbohydrates that are rich in fiber and avoid trans fats all together. In a study I found not only consuming the right fats and carbohydrates was essential but the over consumption of meats caused a 39% decrease in ovarian fertility (1). I thought this was interesting. Compounding these findings with what you’ve stated of having a healthy weight and ensuring adequate iron consumption would help with infertility issues. Generally when I hear about infertility I hear a lot of information about the maternal aspect of fertility, not the paternal aspect of infertility. It was refreshing to hear that there is something that men can do to improve their fertility. I am interested in researching and finding out more of what can be done paternally to further improve infertility issues.

References:

1: Chavarro J, Willett W, Skerrett P. Fat, Carbs And the Science Of Conception. (Cover story). Newsweek [serial online]. December 10, 2007;150(24):54-62. Available from: Academic Search Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed March 5, 2015.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.