Protein Supplements

Home Forum Ask a Nutritionist Protein Supplements

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Rachel Shelton Rachel Shelton 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rachel Shelton
    Participant

Are protein powders/supplements beneficial or is it better to get protein from food sources?

Warren
    Participant

As with anything, there are pros and cons to protein supplementation. In one study, people who had metabolic syndrome and took regular high-protein meal replacement shakes lost more weight and fat mass than subjects who didn’t. (1) However, protein supplements don’t offer the things like calcium and fiber that can be found in other whole foods. (2) Furthermore, if all that is helping with weight loss is meal replacement shakes, then sustainable weight loss isn’t realistic, since it doesn’t help change eating habits or make healthier eating choices.(3)

Protein-rich whole foods are far more nutritionally complex, and include a greater variety of vitamins and minerals. Additionally, they take longer to consume, longer to digest, and aid in the feeling of satiety. Furthermore, in one study, people who chewed their food for longer periods of time also experienced increased feelings of satiety and fullness, and also consumed less calories. (4)
    Overall, it seems like whole foods would be more beneficial than protein supplements.

References:
    1. Flechtner-mors M, Boehm BO, Wittmann R, Thoma U, Ditschuneit HH. Enhanced weight loss with protein-enriched meal replacements in subjects with the metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2010;26(5):393-405.
    2. Available at: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/eating-protein-vs-drinking-protein-shake-6139.html. Accessed March 3, 2015.
    3. Available at: http://www.bidmc.org/YourHealth/HolisticHealth/DietCenter.aspx?ChunkID=75630. Accessed March 3, 2015.
    4. Wijlens AG, Erkner A, Alexander E, Mars M, Smeets PA, De graaf C. Effects of oral and gastric stimulation on appetite and energy intake. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2012;20(11):2226-32.

Rachel Shelton
    Participant

Thank you Warren for your response! I appreciate the research you did on my question. When I was doing my own investigating on the topic, I found results that agreed with your findings, especially that it is more beneficial to get protein from whole food sources than from supplements. Supplements may be beneficial to those who are very physically active and trying to build more muscle, but they likely aren’t as beneficial to the general population. In a study by Xu et al., they found that protein supplements did not increase the strength or muscle mass in elderly patients (1). Thus supplements may only benefit a select few, so I think I’ll follow the advice and stick to getting my protein from food sources.

Reference List
    1. Xu Z, Tan Z, Zhang Q, Gui Q, Yang Y. Clinical Effectiveness of Protein and Amino Acid Supplementation on Building Muscle Mass in Elderly People: A Meta-Analysis. Plos ONE [serial online]. September 2014;9(9):1-10. Available from Academic Search Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed March 6, 2015.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.